Exploring New Zealand's beautiful landscapes by car, campervan or motorhome is a popular way to get around. Even if you're used to driving in other places, you need to be well aware of things like driving on the left-hand side of the road, weather extremes, narrow, windy roads and different road rules before you begin your journey.
Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination and to understand New Zealand's road rules and road signs.
Before you venture out on our roads
- Read the New Zealand Transport Agency’s booklet for overseas drivers (available in multiple languages).
- Study the road rules in the official New Zealand road code.
- Check the Drive Safe website for trip planning and driving advice for visitors to New Zealand.
- Use this time and distance calculator to understand travelling times in New Zealand.
- Make sure you are eligible to drive on our roads. To drive in New Zealand, you must have a current and valid overseas driver licence or international driving permit. If you're here for more than 12 months, you'll need to gain a New Zealand driver licence. Find out more about driver licence requirements.