Freedom camping is when you camp on public land that isn’t a recognised camping ground.

Where you freedom camp depends on where you are and what kind of vehicle you are using. You can camp in more places if your vehicle is certified self-contained.

Self-containment certification

A self-contained vehicle must meet the Caravan Self Containment Certification standard. You'll need to be able to live in it for 3 days without getting more water or dumping waste. It must have:

  • a toilet

  • fresh water storage 

  • waste water storage, and

  • a rubbish bin with a lid.

A plumber or gasfitter needs to check if your vehicle meets the requirements. If it passes they will give you a warrant and sticker certification to display on the front of your vehicle and the rear of your vehicle.